10 Random Questions About Me, Answered!
1. My childhood nickname was Missy. It didn’t occur to me to hate it until I was about 16, but it wasn’t until I was 18 that I stopped introducing myself as that and started using my big-girl name.
I’m not sure why my parents started calling me Missy, but it has always reminded me of a dog’s name. (Maybe because an aunt had a Lasa named something ridiculously similar like Misty or Mitzy.) I suppose that’s why I’ve never been a big fan of nicknames. I’m not talking pet names, like “honey” or “sweetie”. No, I love those. I’m talking about naming your child one thing, and forever calling them something else.
Just name your child what you plan to call him/her. If you love the name Tori, then don’t name your daughter Victoria. You say you love Billy or Bill? Great! So don’t list William on the birth certificate. There is absolutely no need to list the formal version of a name if it’s the informal moniker you love.
And I say all this with complete sincerity.
I only wish someone would have told my grandmother not to allow anyone, siblings included, to call my Uncle Richard, “Dick”. If you want to screw your kid up, the fastest way to do it is to saddle them with a horrible nickname like “Dick”. It’s just wrong, people!
2. If you want to spoil me rotten, buy me a plane ticket to just about anywhere. I love to travel, and I’m usually game for a trip anywhere. Believe it or not, we have 3 trips in the works now with another one in the very early planning stages!
3. If I had a whole day to go shopping and money to spend, I would go to Amazon or an outlet mall.
Confession? I’m not a huge shopper. Unlike my mother and sisters, I’m missing the shopping gene. When I go into a shop it’s usually because I have a specific purchase in mind and I’m pretty darn sure they have it.
But(!), I am a huge Amazon junkie for the things I regularly buy or I need to buy.
But even if it’s the same price in the store, I’ll often buy from Amazon anyway because it’s tax free (for now) and I can usually get free 2 day shipping with my Prime membership.
And, because I love a bargain, I like outlet shopping. If there’s one thing that I do love browsing or shopping for, it’s home decor. I love thinking about and planning different ways I can decorate our home and outlets usually have several home goods or decor type stores. (Think Kirkland) I suppose if I had an endless supply of money to burn, that’s one of the things I’d be thrilled to spend it on.
4. What is your current obsession? I’m not really someone who collects things, but I will admit I’ve developed a love for antique perfume bottles or unique perfume bottles. I’m also obsessed with mini perfumes. Not samples, but actual miniature versions of the full-size bottle.
I just wish more companies offered them in Eau de parfum, rather than Eau de toilette.
5.The one thing on my bucket list that I am most eager to do is visit the Great Barrier Reef! This is the trip that’s in the very early planning stage but it’s something we’re both really excited about doing, and we’re hoping to do it soon.
6. In my opinion, the best invention in the history of the world is toilet paper or deodorant. But I’m leaning toward toilet paper.
7. I will always be loyal to the truth.
Lying is one of my pet-peeves.
The truth may be uncomfortable and, at times, even hurt, but it’s the only way we can truly deal with a situation and move beyond it. For me, it’s far more painful to discover the lie, (and they are always discovered at some point) and then have to deal with the inevitable feelings of betrayal and loss of trust, than it would have been to just hear the truth from the beginning.
The truth is, lies change relationships whether they are friendships, familial relationships, or romantic relationship, and it’s rarely, if ever, for the better.
And, beyond all that, I believe when you lie to someone it says something about the way you view the person you’re lying to. I think it says you don’t trust that they are capable of processing and dealing with the truth. That they are weak. And, while that can be true of some people, I believe most of us are strong enough to hear the truth and the true weakness is within the one telling the lie.
In my opinion, there are really only two reasons we lie.
1.) to protect our own skin, or
2.) because the person telling the lie is uncomfortable with the truth.
Either way, I see it as the problem of the person lying and not one they should burden others with.
Even the “little white lie” is offensive to me. Look, if I ask you “Does this outfit make me look fat?” and you’re thinking “No, but the fat makes you look fat”, then, for the love of ice cream, find some way to say so! I promise you, I will be far more upset if you let me go out looking like a ridiculous freak than if you just tell me that it’s not flattering on my body. Believe me, if your opinion, good or bad, isn’t important to me, I won’t bother asking for it. So, if I do, please, don’t lie!
8. If I could spend a day with a celebrity I would choose This is a tough one. There are so many people I’d love to meet, and the reasons are as varied as the people!
Okay, this list is going to be totally random, but I’ll name a few that come to mind right off the top of my head. Bette Midler, Jane Fonda, Fran Dresher, Melissa McCarthy, Ricky Gervais, George Bush Jr,Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian, Deepak Chopra, Ernest Hemingway, Jack Nicholson, Hillary Clinton, Gloria Steinem, Richard Dawkins and even Benazir Bhutto, before she was killed.
And I can’t say I’d be sad to spend an afternoon tucked away with Johnny Depp, either!
9. The most wild and crazy thing I have ever done (that I will admit to publicly) is can I take a pass on this one? I’ve done a lot of crazy things in my life, but not too many I want to share on the interwebs!
Okay, let me think. Something tame but still considered “wild and crazy”. Thinking….thinking….thin, nope, not that one…still thinking.
I’m going to have to get back with you on this one
10. When life hands me lemons, I add 4 oz Grey Goose Vodka, 8 oz of fresh squeezed lemonade, top it with 2 oz of Spite and make a Dirty Lemonade!